Monday, March 8, 2010

2010 Jetta TDI SportWagen: Turbocharged clean diesel

Photo by Volkswagen




Most cars, like most people, are a mixed bag. They do some things well, and others, well, not so much. (Of course, you can find real lemons in both groups.)

The new Volkswagen Jetta TDI SportWagen bucks the trend. There isn't much the car doesn't do extremely well.

I spent a few days driving the sporty little wagon around town. At 42 mpg, the mileage rivaled the Toyota Prius hybrid, but with a more traditional profile.

By the time I had to give it back, I was a believer in clean diesel:
No stinky diesel exhaust. No significant rattle in the engine.
Lots of power. And - because whether or not we admit it, looks count - the car is cute as all get out.

With the coming launch of the Nissan LEAF, hybrid power, clean diesel and electric vehicles are duking it out on the market. On the plus side: It's nice to have choices. On the minus side: The consumer faces the choice of limited travel range for the electric, disposing of hybrid batteries the rising price and availability of diesel. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.

Because I still need room to carry cargo from time to time, if I had to vote with my checkbook right now, I'd go with the Jetta.

You can read my print review of the 2010 Jetta TDI SportWagen here.

For Don's take...

1 comment:

  1. I just bought it and I love it only had 14 miles when I test drove it and bouth it on the spot my conmute is about 60 mi round trip and I'll get my money's worth.

    Classic Old Cars For Sale

    ReplyDelete